Saturday, December 11, 2010

Top Tips to Survive Running in the Winter


Running is one of those things that is so easy, yet so hard at the same time. It's easy, not in the sense that it is physically easy, but in the sense that it is pretty simple to go out and do (no real equipment, no gym membership needed). Yet, it is really hard in the fact that there is nothing...and I mean nothing...to really help you out. No fitness instructor yelling at you or instructing you. No air-conditioned or heated gym to make the environment comfortable. It's raw and hard and you have to want to do it, or frankly, it is just too easy to NOT run. Winter running is some of the most brutal. The wind (which seems to change direction so it is always in your face), the ice, the snow, the "wintry mix" (my favorite), the feeling of snowflakes falling in your eyes and being just sharp enough to feel like razor blades, and the constant chapped lips and wind burned face (yes, that is the stuff nobody tells you about)

Recently, I've gotten some questions from friends of mine that are starting out with running outside in the winter. I decided it was only fitting to put together the "Best of the Best Tips for Surviving the Winter...while Running through it". Here we go:

  • It really is all about the Gear and being smart about spending your money on the right gear, not the most expensive gear. There are couple "must haves" in any winter runner's closet:
    1. 2 Pairs of High-Waisted (yes, you heard me right) Thermal Tights. You need two pairs because you need one that is thick for weather 30 degrees and below and then you need a slightly less thick pair for 31 degree to about 60 (or whenever you switch to shorts or capris). The second most important element of a good pair of tights is the height of the waist band. This isn't a time for fashion concerns. You need a pair that is as high as the belly button. This will allow you to tuck in your layers and keep the heat in. Ditch those cute Lululemon yoga pants. They aren't doing anything for you when it's 22 degrees...trust me. Cute butt does not equal a warm one. My favorite brand of running tights are Surgoi.
    2. 2 different Running Jackets (1 waterproof and 1 not waterproof). Running jackets are key. They are an extra protection from the wind and you can store stuff in them during runs. I recommend 2 different jackets-- one that is light and more versatile and one that is waterproof. Waterproof ones tend to be less breathable and are usually too hot for any running above 30 degrees. But, they are key during those wintry runs when snow is falling or the temps are well below 30. My favorite brand is Brooks.
    3. Thermal Base Layers. This is probably the most important out of anything you get. You need something that is NOT cotton and something that is form fitting and thin. Unfortunately, this is where many companies try to steal your money with expensive brands (Under Armour anyone). Yet, Thermals have been around forever and there are many brands who have them at very reasonable prices. My favorites are Duofold.
    4. Gloves, Mittens, and a really great winter hat. Yes, you need both gloves and mittens. The best are the ones with the "snot wiper"...yes, you heard me right. I said Snot. When you run in the winter, your nose runs badly. You either are going to wipe it on your shirt or your glove. Might as well have a glove ready for the worst.
    5. Night reflective gear. This is critical. It is most likely you will be running in the dark--unless you are gifted with a job that will allow you to run in the middle of the. With dark running, comes danger. Not so much from scary people creeping in strange spots, but from the cars that just do not see you running. The best way of protecting yourself is through reflective gear. It may be a hat or a jacket. I like reflective arm bands that you can snap over your jacket like a snap bracelet. Brooks has a cool pair here
    6. Duck tape. Duck tape comes in handy when it is so cold that you just need every last bit of heat close to your body. You can use Duck tape over the toe box of your shoes or around your fingers. It really will help.

  • Mental visualization will help you refocus your mind against the temperature. I find myself saying "I am on a beach...sweating" often during those 1st 2 miles when I am so cold it hurts. It doesn't take away the cold, but it refocuses you a bit.

  • Warm up with Green Tea 30 minutes before and immediately afterwards. I drink a cup 30 minutes before and I put the kettle on immediately when I return. It helps you keep your body temp up during the 1st couple miles.

  • Last, but certainly not least, just suck it up and go out there. The mental games we play with ourselves never work-- "oh I"ll go later...it will warm up". To that I say-- no, it won't warm up. But the more you dread the idea of running, the worse it will be. Just get out there and say you are going to do it. Worry about the rest later.
Thanks Asics, for the photo. I never have my camera when it's that cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment