Tuesday, December 7, 2010

When Good things happen to Good People

Today I was surrounded by Complainers. I mean the type of people that were dead set on finding something wrong with the day and everything that surrounded it."I'm tired", "This coffee sucks", "I can't figure this out", "I hate my job", "You didn't do this or that", "My lunch is terrible". I mean, honestly, you would have thought these people had the worst lives possible and were living on some tsunami-stricken island off the coast of Indonesia. But, no, they were sitting with me in a very comfortable, very climate-controlled office getting paid to sit on their butts. Not too shabby indeed.

The constant noise of complaints today got me thinking about how much we all focus on the "bad stuff" and the "unfair stuff" and how shitty things are happening to us all the time. Yet, we rarely think or dwell on the good. Frankly, why do we give the bad such control over us? Why do we let it own us while letting the good be forgotten? It seems so backwards. Sure, Bad things happen to Good people (including me), but hell, even better things happen to those same people. Maybe we just need to sit back and remember some of them. Perhaps we need to give them half the dwelling time we give the bad stuff.

For me, a lot of good has been handed to me. I have a great job, a great home, great friends, a great education, great family, and most of all I have seen the world. Talk about good-- that is f'ing great! Seeing the world opens you up and teaching you things no text book or even map can begin to explain. The scent of being in a Chinese Market, the way you can tell a Monsoon is going to start before it does, and silent joy of being somewhere so remote (like Iceland) that there is not a chance an iPhone would be found.

I tend to write a lot, so today, I'm going to let pictures tell a 1000s words. Here are some of my favorite moments of when great things happened, it unexpected places


 For any Jane Austen Fan...being in Bath near the row of townhouses so famous in her books is pure happy

 Sometimes travel requires a plane, sometimes it just requires a costume

 I've never been one for the Bikini-shot, but I still remember this perfect moment in Greece

 Climbing the Great Wall was one thing. Sitting alone in a watchtower on the Wall, was a whole other.

 We often don't capture then "unpoised" in our travels. Perhaps we should capture those moments of laughter a bit more

You can't talk Happy without talking Iceland. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post, V. I hate complainers. That's why I'm glad I have an office door I can shut :) And as you point out, why are they complaining? What do they really have to complain about? Life is pretty great. Unless you are living on a tsunami-stricken island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. This was a great post for me to read today. Love the pics, love that I was with you on two of those trips!!

    M

    ReplyDelete