Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Even the Traveler gets Attacked by the Weather....



It was raining today and it got me thinking about weather when traveling. Weather can literally make or break a trip-- a hurricane while on a Caribbean vacation (it has happened to me), a heat wave with no snow while skiing (it hasn't happened to me, but that would suck), a monsoon in India (it has happened to me and was pretty amazing). The best is when it is a complete and utter surprise. That is what I call an "International Weather Attack"! The only way I call something this is if a) you completely are caught off guard and had absolutely no idea it was going to happen b) you have little to no protection from it and c) it is a great story to tell someone when you are home. Some people may say "Bad weather happens anywhere!" True, but it is never to the same hilarity as when you are traveling.

The thing that makes weather so crazy when you are traveling is that you have no means to figure out how to predict it. You typically can't speak the langague, you don't know the "signs" (at home you can just "smell" when a storm is coming), and you typically aren't thinking about it...at least I'm not. My complete lack of thinking got me into one of my crazinest "International Weather Attack" stories, ever.

Sao Paolo, Brazil is an intense, anxiety-ridden place with crazy traffic, way too many kidnappings, and beautiful people. Above all else, I absolutely loved it! One of the things I was lucky enough to do while I was there was to tour people's homes and see how people really live. Seeing people's homes and how it differs across countries is fascinating and I urge everyone to get out and explore the local neighborhoods. You'll learn a ton about the culture and eat some of the best/cheapest food in town!


On my last day in Sao Paolo, I was had spent my entire day inside. It was a beautiful, sunny day and I as really annoyed. I wanted to see the city one last time! My flight was leaving at 9pm so when I had a break from my meetings, I quickly got up and left alone! I told my co-workers I needed a walk and that I'd be back in a hour.


I walked around, saw the city and got some great coffee and pao de queijo (the best cheese bread in the world)! When it was time to head back, I started walking and about 2 steps into my journey back in started pouring. This was no typical rain. It was a "I might as well have just ridden down a water slide because I'd probably be drier" Rain and there was absolutely no warning. I was worthless, I had no bag, newspaper, umbrella, towel, nothing. Within seconds it had looked like I jumped into a swimming pool and no matter how fast or slow I went, the damage was done. So, I just stopped. I didn't try to get shelter or anything. I just stopped. When is the last time you actually did that?!?! For me, I realized that was probably the first time I had done that since I was a kid-- just stopped, let the rain attack me and not try to run or grab shelter. It was amazing and felt so good.




Problem was was that I still needed to get back to my meetings and I needed to get back to the airport in 3 hours. I had already checked out of my hotel, so a shower was out of the picture. After I had my moment with the rain, I walked backto the office and my co-workers were horrified and just stared. I don't know what I looked like, but I'm sure it was something reminisent a wet-rat with sweaky shoes. I ended up going to a bathroom, changing my clothing completely and leaving my soaked clothing and shoes in Brazil at the office. There were just too wet to want to put in my suitcase. I like to say I donated my clothing to the Sao Paolo rain storm and I'd do it again.



Photos  courtesy of  (in order shown):
Amy Sorrells
BotecoBorrocos
PolishSausagQueen


No comments:

Post a Comment