Friday, May 14, 2010
The Ultimate Human Race?
Recently, I have been considering doing something 50% insane and 50% amazing: Run the 2011 Comrades Marathon in South Africa ("The Ultimate Human Race"). Usually, the best things are at least 50% insane, so I figure this is no different. Ready for the insane part? The race is 56 miles (yes, that is 89K) from Pietermartizberg and Durban. Every other year they switch the direction so one year you may be doing the 'uphill' course which is when you start in Pietermartizberg and another year you'll be doing the 'downhill' where you start in Durban. I hear it doesn't really matter because it is hilly either way. The equally cruel jester is that the race has "cut-off" points, which means if you do not finish a portion of a course in a certain time, you are stopped and forced to quit Could you imagine? Flying all the way to South Africa, training in the dead of winter for months, and then getting there and they make you quit?! I'm not sure if I would be able to recover from such disappointment. In my effort to figure out if I should do it, I've made a list:
Pros:
- What an adventure!! Running through rural S. Africa with people equally as insane as I am!
- The first, the best and the most respected Ultramarathon in the world.
- Proving to myself that I can push my body to almost double a marathon (ouch!)
- I've never traveled to South Africa. As I have said before I "Will Run for Travel".
- Seeing The Ethembeni School for Handicapped Children put the Wellesley Girls of the Boston Marathon to shame (The Ethembeni School is considered a landmark in the course where all the students come out to cheer on the runners).
- I've run 13 marathons and I'm still healthy. Why not?
Cons:
- Training would be insane. 6 months of training in winter. Long runs would reach up to 40 miles (that is almost 5 hours of running!)
- I need to find a training group to run with. I simply could not (and would not) want to do it alone.
Clearly, the Pros outweigh the Cons. Um...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Oh man. And I thought 26.2 miles was crazy! Also this isn't almost double a marathon ... it's more. A marathon x2 is 52.4 miles.
ReplyDeleteAs the daughter of a nurse and someone who works in healthcare, my only suggestion is that you see a doctor first and make sure your knees can take it. And if they can and you decide to do it ... well, good luck!
Maggie you were always better at math than me....
ReplyDelete