Sunday, May 16, 2010

In search of Running Culture



One thing I adore about running in new and different places is that no matter what there is always a unique running culture (or lack there of ) in each place.  A "Running Culture" can include things like:

- Are there even people running? If so, who are there and what are they wearing?
- Are there designated running trails or paths?
- Is it a road running culture or a cross country culture (you'd be surprised at how many people run on grass in other countries!)
- What do they eat or drink while they run? (Gatorade, Gu, Water, Apple Juice-- yes, Apple Juice!)
- When you encounter non-runners (like drivers and walkers) do they share the road or not? Worse, do they try to attack you?



So,  I'm not sure if I have yet found the ideal "Running Culture" in any city I've visited, but each has had some unique elements. Here are a listing of some of my most memorable "Running Culture" encounters:

  1. London, England: "Let's keep our Runners injury-free!" London is such an amazing place to run if you can first figure out which way to look so you don't get run over by cars!  Honestly, I think this is part of the charm! London and the surrounding areas have an amazing  Running Culture, including a wealth of Running Clubs (with 100s of years of history-- yes, 100s of years) and a long ingrained support of women's running. In fact, the UK accepted women's distance runners into races well before the US did! One of the coolest things about running in London is that every local doesn't run on the road but instead runs on "footpaths" which are typically to the right or left of a sidewalk in all of the many London parks. The footpaths are incredibly narrow (one foot's width typically). When I first ran in Hyde Park  I was running on the sidewalk and kept getting nasty glares at me until I noticed I was in the wrong! Footpaths are the way to go! After speaking to a local runner I learned that these footpaths are generally considered for walkers or runners where as the sidewalk or the road is for cyclists. The thinking is the gentler the surface on your feet, the longer you can run injury-free! Hooray to that!  Now, if only the US could get on that philosophy.
  2. Sevilla, Spain "Watch out for misfit dogs and butt slapping men!" Sevilla is a great example of a "non-running culture". Not to say that there are not runners,  but it is simply not a widely encouraged sport there. This fact is quadrupled for women who are few and far between on the roads. When I was living in Spain one the things I quickly discovered was that running in that country would have to include an acceptance of a) harassing, but harmless men who would yell sexist comments at you constantly  b) wild dogs c) running through clouds of cigarette smoke and d) being asked if you were "OK" by Spanish women when they found out you ran for fear that it would hurt your reproductive system. I think all these crazy things made running in Spain so much fun! You never knew what you'd encounter during a run, but you knew it would include some combination of the above!  I found out on the day that I was leaving Spain that the mother I was staying with was so worried about me when I ran, that she'd phone all her friends in the apartments around the city to watch for me as I ran by! It was like the secret service! I don't think I've ever been so closely guarded while running and probably never will again! 
  3. Iceland: "Want some apple juice and bit of licorice with your half marathon?" I love, love, love, love  Iceland and running is only one very small reason why I love the country. Besides the awe-inspiring landscape, Iceland has a very unique Running Culture that I first encountered when I ran the Reykjavik Half Marathon in August 2009. First things first, Icelanders do not take Gu, Power Gels, or any Electrolyte Gels while running. Frankly, it is refreshing to not have to avoid slipping on empty Gu packets when running. Instead, Icelanders play in simple and pack fruit with them. I saw guys running with me with mashed up banana, segments of orange, and apples. I kept thinking, "Why don't we do this in the US? Fruit has natural sugars in it!". In addition to fresh fruit, they eat lots of black licorice and actually hand it out on the source! Next, Icelanders do not believe in Gatorade. In fact, you can't even find it in many stores. Instead, during the race they gave out the most delicious tasting Glacier water ever and Apple Juice. Yes, Apple Juice! Also, unlike US races where we ruthlessly litter our water cups before and after water stops, the Icelanders did not litter at all. In fact, you'd be removed from the race if you did! There were plenty of recycling bins that you'd place your paper cups in. I saw guys stop who were running 6 minute pace just to be sure they put their cups in the bins! Besides all else, one of the COOLEST part of the Icelandic Running Culture are the spectators. They are AMAZING and they come out in packs. they cheered for every single person running and came out with pots and pans to cheer on the runners. I swear I'm going to bring pots and pans to the next race I spectate. It was amazing!
Here's to finding even more unique Running Cultures in the future!

1 comment:

  1. Nice pics!

    One of the nice things about playing soccer was that we ran in the grass. I would like to do that now, but find it hard. If I'm running through residential neighborhoods, I don't want to run on someone's lawn. Along paths/trails, there is the chance of dog poop in the grass along the side of the path. I could run through the forest preserve, but only if I have a buddy or group.

    Running with fruit makes so much more sense. I have never tried one of those gels, nor do I want to.

    ReplyDelete