Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankfulness minus Facebook and Facial Hair

I'm on Facebook. I get it. For the entire month of November all my female friends have been doing this "1 thing to be Thankful for everyday" thing (I don't mean to be gender profiling, but I did an assessment: It's all women). My guy friends, on the other hand, have just been growing Mustaches (you know that whole "Movember" thing). Perhaps I'm missing some cool social cues here, but I still don't get how Mustache could = Movember. But, I'll just pass that off as my inability to spell. Anyway, it seems like everyone is doing something this month to acknowledge the good things in life, including facial hair (which, by the way, I completely agree is one of life's greatest joys).

I'm not into the over sharing on Facebook and don't have the ability to grow a stash. So, I thought in the midst of my servings of Brussel Sprouts, I'd write a few reasons why I'm Thankful, no matter how imperfect my year has ended up:

1) I'm really thankful to have grown up in Chicago. Every time I land in Chicago for a holiday, I am so proud to be from a big, cultural city that still has genuinely nice people. I think some East Coasters could learn a little something from the Midwest.

2) I'm really thankful for my 2 best friends: Maggie and Scott. No matter how many months pass without seeing each other, no matter how many years I continue to not move back to Chicago (it's 12 years...but who's counting), and no matter how great/shitty/confusing/crazy/wonderful things happen to us it is just always great and low maintenance. I think once you hit your 30s friendships must be low maintenance. Save the drama for your mama.

3) I'm really thankful that I learned to drive in Chicago and that my Mom schooled me in how to drive like a bad ass early on (there was no chance in hell she was going to have a wimpy driver as a daughter). I don't mean to brag, but I'm a really good driver. Thank you, Chicago.

4) I'm so thankful to have just come home from Thailand and to have had the opportunity to travel there. What an incredible planet we live on! So many incredible things to see and eat and I hope to continue to do all of them next year.

5) I'm thankful that I woke up the last 2 days in no pain and that I didn't wear my hip belt. I'm thankful that hope is always within us. Always.

Having cooked and eaten in Thailand makes me want Curry on Thanksgiving. Sorry, Stuffing.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so thankful for you too!!! Although I will be especially extra super thankful if you ever move back to Chicago. No pressure though :) I'll always be your BFF no matter where you live.

    ReplyDelete