Thursday, May 13, 2010

My constant travel companion


 

 
I have run in every single city, state, and country I have traveled in the past 10 years. This includes running, jogging, and even doing 22 mile training runs in Shanghai alone in 104 degree heat (we'll get to that later...).  I never really thought twice about how odd that may be to some until people starting saying some wacky stuff to me that made no sense.

How can you run when you are on vacation!?! Aren't you suppose to sleep in and relax so you can have energy to see the sights!?

Isn't it unsafe to run alone in a strange country or city?

It's too hot! It's too cold! It smells weird! There are scary dogs outside!

I don't speak the language! What happens if I get lost?!
 
These comments are so ill-founded, that I feel like I cannot possibly continue without addressing each of them and hopefully opening a couple eyes while I do.

 
Let's start with the vacation comment because this is the one I get most frequently. When I travel I want to see a place in its rawest, most uncontrived form. To do this we must all get away from the crowds, get away from the travel books and maps, get away from where we need to go next to check off our "I've seen it list", get away from the fear of losing our money to a pick pocketer and just GO Running when traveling is literally the only way I have found to do this because it is just me, my shoes, and the road. Nothing holding me back, nothing pushing me forward. When traveling I often go running in the wee hours of the morning such as 4 or 5am. You are probably thinking--"Wow, she really is crazy and I could never do that!". You can and you should! I often find that these are the parts of my travels that I remember most (the Parthenon as the sun rises, Hyde Park in London when only the local London elite are practicing their horse riding, etc).  I often go running in a location in the morning and then travel back in the afternoon and get sad that all these people are not seeing any of what they should be.  Another part of the argument I get for not running on vacation is that you should save your energy for the sightseeing. This is silly because whenever I do this I feel awful, lacking energy and spirit and feel like I'm missing something. Maybe it is just because running is my constant travel companion and I can't leave the hotel/hostel/tent/guesthouse without it!

 
On the safe argument. I'm not going to lie and say I haven't had any close calls. Yet, in all my runs I have only had 2 almost dangerous situations. In fact, I've had more close calls when not running and in the broad daylight. Maybe it is because anyone that wants to do something bad to you either wants a) your money (which, as a runner ,you typically don't have) or b) your body for physical harm (which, as a runner, you are not nearly as appealing as some other victims given your proven ability to run from the scene). I think this is a weak issue and if you have a real issue with it, take a buddy with you or some pepper spray. In fact, you can even disguise the run as a "sightseeing trip" to your buddy. They will be amazed when it isn't just a sightseeing trip, but something much more mind-blowing!

 

 

 
It's too hot, it's too cold, it smells, there are dogs. This is crappy excuse and if anyone ever pulls it on me I tell them that are full of it. There is weird weather everywhere and there is gear to run in any weather. Pack appropriately and make running a part of the travel plan. Period. On the Dog issue--- which is a good one--- I learned an important lesson on this. Just yell back authoritatively at an opposing dog while calming walking or standing. Do not run, do not scream. My dear friend told me this once as we were being attacked by dogs in Greece. I have never been scared since and neither should you.

 
What happens if I get lost?! Don't worry about it people! If you get lost, you have done your job as a proper running traveler! The BEST places that I have discovered while traveling are (hands down), places I have "found" while "lost". When living in Sevilla, I went running one morning in this area of town call "La Macarena", which is famous for their amazing Churros y Chocolate, their many small Basilicas, and unrestricted Art. One early morning when I was running I found myself lost in the narrow, dimly lit alley ways for several miles. I was getting nervous and bit tired when I noticed a cluster of big men carrying what looked like a car on their backs. My initial thinking was-- "Bad decision. Leave". Luckily, my fearless runner won the battle and I charged forward, stupidly. As I ran what I noticed was mind-blowing. The men were practicing for the upcoming "Semana Santa" and they were practicing carrying the most famous of all Sevillan "pasos"-- La Virgen de Macarena. This statue of Mary is devoutly worshiped by all Sevillanos and early on Good Friday morning (like 4am) La Virgen is carried on the backs of the male worshippers throughout the street of Sevilla. Sevillanos come out in the 1000s, waiting all night to see La Virgen and most not getting close enough to see anything. These men have to practice for weeks to carry La Virgen and on my lonely morning run I was lucky enough to see it first hand. As the men saw me running near, they graciously moved ever so slightly to the side and allowed me to pass. I remember thinking "I would never have seen that if I hadn't come running". La Macarena was too far to walk to, too "unappealing" to see any tourist attractions in. Surprisingly, what I ended up seeing was one of the best experiences of my time in Spain.

2 comments:

  1. so my formatting was a bit off on this one....I'll know for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! And I promise to plan to go running the next time I travel. Also now that we all run with some kind of GPS device, there goes the "you will get lost" argument. And I encounter dogs running through the subdivisions of Mokena ...

    ReplyDelete