There are 3 things in this life that I love more than anything else: Traveling, Running, and Music. I'm pretty good at Traveling and at Running, but when it comes to music I like to think I'm just a really big fan always on the search for things to listen to that make me happy. I'm bad at singing, I'm mediocre at piano, and I'm mediocre at Clarinet. But, when it comes to going to concerts I like to think that I'm pretty good. After many concerts in the US and beyond, I've put together a couple of "Will Run for Travel Concert Rules":
- Unless you are getting proposed to at that very moment, it is never okay to make out in front of others close to the stage. Why is this a rule, you ask? If you are more interested in making out than listening to the music, then you need to either take it to the back of the venue or to your house. If you have ever been standing at a concert for hours waiting to see your favorite artist only to have your view blocked by a make out session, you'll understand this rule. If you don't get it, then I think you are a lost cause. Lastly, there are a lot cheaper places to make out than at a concert.
- Don't be a cheater! August 1, 2001 I went to see my favorite band ever-- Radiohead in 90+ degree temps in Grant Park in Chicago. We had to get there around 8am-- a full 12 hours before the show. My friends Scott, Maggie, and I were all patiently waiting for the show until everyone cut in front of us with about 5 minutes to go before the show. Our entire view was blocked and my spirit was lost. Don't be cheaters, people! Respect those that have been there forever! Nice things will come back to you in the future.
- Know the music or at least commit to trying to know the music. There is nothing more boring than being in a hot, loud, crowded place where you know none of the music. Investigate, so you are an educated concert goer. If you don't know the music, at least look like you do and go with the flow.
A couple years ago, I was traveling in the UK and Germany for a 2 weeks for work. My job required that I stay over at least 1 weekend, so I picked the UK for both weekends. Every time I travel I also check out where my favorite musicians are to see if on a rare chance they are touring where I am traveling. Usually, it never quite works out but on this particular occasion it did. One of my favorite artists is Aimee Mann (of "Magnolia" soundtrack fame and "Voices Carry"). I love how her music is so full of sorrow but it never makes me sad. To me, it's perfect. Before this trip, I had never seen Aimee Mann live but had all her solo albums. I purchased 1 ticket to her show at Shepherd's Bush Empire and was so excited that it was going to be my first time going to a concert alone.
I still remember it was the night of the London Tube bombings, so the Tube was closed. I had to take a taxi and then walk about a mile to the venue. I stood in line and waited. For the first time, I had a feeling I could get really close vs. being blocked by tall people in front of me. When the doors opened, there was no running or pushing (the British are so much nicer than us Americans!) For the first time ever, I was front row center. Very first row, in front of her microphone. Until this past weekend this was the only time this had ever happened to me. At first, I was a bit nervous about being that close (what happens if everyone pushes forward and squashes me? what happens if I need to go to the bathroom?) All this went away when I realized that the British are just nice. Nobody pushed, no smoking, and the guy next to me covered my spot while I went to the restroom. He let me get right back up front!
Right before Aimee came out, I brought out my camera and took a photo of her empty stage. Immediately after taking that 1 photo, my camera died. I never did get a photo of her that close to me. The concert was pure magic. I knew every word. I met amazing people from around the world near me and Aimee even took my request ("Deathly"-- one of my favorites). That is what I love about concerts...for those 2 hours or so everything else but the music goes away. You don't think about anything else going on in your life. Pure escape, pure joy. Since that show I've seen Aimee 4 more times in the US. Nothing will ever compare to my lonely visit to see her across the pond.
My second international concert memory was when I studying abroad in Spain. As I have written before, this study abroad experience was one of my most broke moments (little money, but a lot of desire to travel). My friends and I had planned a big trip to Eastern Europe, but before the trip we were planning on visiting Madrid and see Coldplay. Coldplay is another band I had (and have) seen many times in the US, but this is was the only time abroad. My friends and I had planned a big trip to Eastern Europe, but before the trip we were planning on visiting Madrid and see Coldplay. Coldplay is another band I had (and have) seen many times in the US, but this is was the only time abroad. Coldplay is an amazingly infectious band, that put on lively and exciting concerts. But, there is simply nothing that can compare to seeing them in a Bullring (yes, you heard me right-- a Bullring) in Spain.
It was a huge standing room only venue (must have been 1000s of people in there) and we were all standing on the floor. This was no typical standing room-only venue. It was the same floor that Bulls and Matadors fight it out in front of crowds. You often don't put Bullrings and Bands together, but on this day they were meshed. Unfortunately, it was one of those concerts that broke all the "rules", but was still amazing. Spaniards making out in front of me, smoking, cheaters, and people who were just there but definitely not fans. I recall actually being able to see anything (I am just an inch to short to see anything), but I remember being moved by how different this concert was than others I had seen. I kept wondering if the Spaniards really understood the lyrics or just the sound of the music?
At the end of concert, it all came to a crashing reality that we really weren't in the US. 1000s of people all trying to exit the Bullring with one exit. I kept thinking, "I swear in the US this would be dangerous due to the risk of trampling". It took over an hour to get out, but when we did it was amazing. Music that can cross the language barrier is amazing.
Music and Travel can and should always be intermixed. No matter where you go, there is always a chance to experience local or international music. It doesn't always have to be an expensive concert either (street musicians can be amazing). Have you checked out where your favorite musicians are playing next?
+and+Shanghai+013.jpg)
+and+Shanghai+014.jpg)

Yes! Grupo Fantasma, Cambridge MA, July 14! Go see 'em Vera!
ReplyDelete