Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Traveling in your own city





Living in a city and traveling in a city are two completely things. As a traveler we never quite understand what it is like to live regularly in that city. The same is true when we live in a city...we are so busy "living" that we forget to explore the very place we spend the most time. How many times have you heard a local say "I've lived here for 20 years, but I've never actually been there"? I've heard it countless times from New Yorkers who have never been to the Statue of Liberty or seen a Broadway show, from Chicagoans (including myself) who have never been to the top of the Sears Tower or Wrigley Field and even from Bostonians who have never been to Paul Revere's home. I suppose it is because when we live in a city we forget to prioritize actually seeing the city. We always think we have "plenty of time" to do and see it later. It got me thinking that maybe the best travel we can all take is to travel to our city, with the true mindset of a traveler.

When we travel to a city we are 100% focused on exploration, visiting, and learning. The plan for an entire day will be focused around "sightseeing". How often do you go through your typical day with that level of focus and commitment to one task? Normally, we are always running to some other chore or task and never focused 100% on exploration. We prioritize "doing stuff", but never prioritize "seeing stuff". This weekend I finally changed this in my own city, Boston.

This weekend I was a tourist in my own city and it was liberating. My mom visited from Chicago and we had a 4-day, action packed New England adventure. I stopped my regular routine willingly (going to the same workout, seeing my friends, doing the typical weekend chores) and I made time to "travel" Boston. In the end, I discovered Boston from a different point of view. Here is an overview of my travels and what I learned:



Friday: The Freedom Trail  is NOT 2.5 miles. It is more like 8 round trip.
I truly believe guided tours have their time and place. They are great in a place where a) the history is extensive and complicated b) the stories are not written down in a place you can read about easily and c) when you need a break from your travel partner (listening to someone for 1-2 hours is liberating from holding conversation constantly-- no matter how much you like the person you are with!) On Friday, my Mom finally lived out her dream of walking the entire Freedom Trail. Instead of wandering along alone and looking in a travel book for the facts on where we were (like I have done in the past), we decided to go all in and take the "official tour" for the first part of the Trail. The tour is lead by someone in full-on period dress. I have to admit I was a bit skeptical ("is this going to be a terrible tourist trap where they charge you $13 for practically nothing?") But, I was extremely pleased and happy by the tour! It was great.!Our guide had a Masters in History, was dressed in some kick-butt pantaloons, and made almost-offensive jokes. It was entertaining and I learned something! After having "walked" the Trail about 3 other times, this was the first time I actually realized how amazing Boston really is. Sure it is beautiful city, but it is even more beautiful when you imagine that the history is right outside your door and not locked up in a museum. You can walk outside, get an iced coffee at Dunkin Donuts, and then literally run into the location of John Winthrop's first Purtian settlement. It isn't behind glass. Modern and Historical living together harmoniously. The tour ended after only about a mile into the Trail (although we hit up Sam Adams grave, Old State house, site of the Boston massacre, and Quincy Market). When it ended, we quickly realized that we hadn't even walked half the Trail,. We bravely continued on and several hours later we ended up a Bunker Hill (which isn't actually on Bunker Hill). Then, we sadly realized that we had to walk back! So, when you go to the Freedom Trail wear your walking shoes and don't listen to the lying signs that say it is only 2.5 miles. It is really 8 miles after going there and back and walking around in each neighborhood!



Saturday: When the sign says New Hampshire, just keep driving north to Maine!
On Saturday, after our walking extravaganza on Friday, we decided we'd try another mode of transportation-- the car! The plan was to drive to Portsmouth, NH (a very cute town, with even better restaurants) and then go to the Lobster Pool in Rockport, MA for lunch. We were driving along 93N and saw the signs for Portsmouth, but instead of stopping we just kept driving. This was one of these moments where maps are no help--- you just go on a whim and hope to find something good. We kept driving and driving until we saw an exit for Kennebuckport, ME and the only thing I could think of was George Bush (they have a home there). We got off the highway, drove into downtown and then off on Ocean Ave. We got off to a beautiful Maine shoreline, perfectly imperfect, stones and pebbles, and water that just looks cold. We met a nice couple that was from CT but had home nearby. They said Bar Harbor like "BAAAAAH HAAABOR" and I felt like I officially got my Maine experience! After a couple hours, we turned around and drove to Rockport. Rockport, we went to Lobster Pool (the cutest lobster shack, ever!) By the time we got home it was 9pm and we'd travel 3 states, ate lobster twice, and officially heard a Maine accent! I'd say it was a successful Saturday.




Sunday: Get out your Gingham Capris and Sweater Vests-- we are going to Nantucket!
On Sunday we had yet another adventure and this time it was to Nantucket, an island 30 miles off the coast. To get there you have to drive to Hyannis (as in the Kennedy's!) and take a fast ferry to Nantucket. I had a vision of Nantucket, but this far outweighed any expectations. Perfectly weathered homes, small winding lanes, huge mansions, and a lot of very, very rich people. We rented two cruiser bikes and quickly realized I hadn't been on a bike since I was a child (which means my mom hadn't been on one in even longer!) We ended up biking to Siasconset, which is pretty much as East as you can go (in fact, they say 3000 miles to Spain!) It was a beautiful, tiny  village. We sat on the beach and drank Fresca-- perfection! Then, just like I would expect, we had a bike mishap. When trying to unlock the bike lock, the key snapped in half. I didn't know I had such fierce upper body strength! To our surprise, our bike rental company has "road side" service. In about 20 minutes, the bike man came and saved us and broke the lock. I say there are worse places to be stranded than on a beach in Nantucket! Once our bikes were back on the road, we continued around the island seeing real Cranberry bogs, beautiful lighthouses, and people that were even worse than us at riding bikes. In total we rode about 30 miles! We only stayed until 6pm, but our day was amazing. Nantucket is a perfect place to get away from it all, smell the sea air,  and take in the feel of New England. Plus, it is a great opportunity to bust out those boat shoes and gingham printed capris you have been dying to wear!!


After being a tourist for the weekend, I realized something. That when you stop, even just momentarily from "living", you sometimes see a lot more of life. I stopped worrying about what I needed to get done and started worrying about what I wanted to experience. I wish we'd all do a bit more of that!


2 comments:

  1. Where are the photos of you or your mom in gingham???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you here Vera! When I was growing up, going to Niagara Falls was such a treat, but then when I lived in Niagara Falls for school, I barely ever went to any of the cool historic sites from the War of 1812! Luckily since then I've fixed that, but it's easy to forget that you need to travel in your own city!

    ReplyDelete