Monday, June 7, 2010

Iceland- it really is hotter than you think!

There is nothing like a good old-fashioned bucket list to brighten your day. It is kind of like my partner in crime...no matter what is going on in my life, my list comes with me. The thing about my list that I love the most is that it is the epitome of positive anticipation. Every time I look at it I think about the places on the list, imaging what I'll discover and see. There honestly is nothing like anticipation to make you appreciate travel when it finally happens.

My list started 20 years old when I was 8 years old. When I was 8,  I hated Babysitter Club books (sorry, Maggie) and, frankly, hated reading in general. This was not because I did not like to learn, but more since I was such a slow reader. No matter my lack of reading, I was always fascinated with exploration and new places. I would read the encyclopedia for hours and watch travel shows. I knew there was more to life than Chicago and wanted to see it! Also, we did not exactly take a lot of vacations as a kid, so I could never take travel for granted.



I still remember exactly how my list started. I was getting ready for school and I walked into my Mom's room where she was watching "Good Morning America" with Joan Lunden and Charlie Gibson. Outside of the whole getting up at 2am thing, I swear being a morning show host has got to be one of the best jobs. You interview people, you get to go to the Olympics and you get to go on other amazing trips around the world. Well, Joan and Charlie were doing a Scandinavian Tour. I still remember thinking, "Wow, I know nothing about Scandinavia...I do not even know where it is on a map". Scandinavia didn't exactly make the average public school Social Studies book (which was my basis for all history and geography knowledge). I remember they traveled to Finland, Sweden, Norway, and lastly Iceland. On Iceland day, I walked into my Mom's room and still vividly recall Joan and Charlie sitting in what at the time I thought was a magical pool of neon blue milk (I later learned it was the Blue Lagoon) in the middle of a horrible rain storm. It was so foggy and nasty outside, they kept telling us Iceland was really more beautiful than that. I was so intrigued by the exotic nature of this place, that I knew right then and there I had to go. From then on out, I had one location above all else and that was Iceland.

Iceland was always in the back of my mind. My friends all knew that I wanted to go there above all else. Finally, last year I took the plunge and bought a ticket. It was one of those moments in my life where I have no more excuses of why NOT to go, but a billion excuses to go. So, I booked the flight before I could convince myself otherwise and asked my friend Mary to join me. For me, Iceland had such high anticipation I think I was always a bit nervous that once I went the excitement over this place would be gone, that the dream would be ruined. Maybe that is what keeps a lot of people from going to places on their list.



Because of the years of anticipation every aspect of this travel was exciting, especially the little things-- getting to finally ride Iceland Air to getting eat Icelandic Skyr (a non-fat, high protein thick yogurt) from Iceland vs. from Whole Foods. This is why everyone needs to have a list. Once it is on the list a trip can never be taken for granted. It isn't just a vacation when you visit somewhere on your list, but a lifetime accomplishment.

I will never come close to doing Iceland justice in written words, but I will come close to talking about some my favorite memories and most beloved travels there. Here is my list of "must dos" for Iceland:
  • Take Iceland Air (only 4 hours from Boston) and sit next to a native and actually talk to them. ON the way out there, I sat next to a Norwegian guy and we talked the entire journey. I am sucker for strangers who want to talk on airplanes and most of the time I hate it. Icelanders and Norwegians are such interesting and educated people, that you will learn a lot. With my Norwegian friend, we watched a Norwegian film (with subtitles) about the Norwegian Resistance during WWII. I did not even know anything about a Norwegian Resistance. I learned something before I even landed. Plus, I realized how extremely nice Scandinavians are.
  • Eat like a local and have some Skyr at least twice a day. Skyr is a party in your mouth. Healthy and powerful-- it is one of those foods you wonder why Americans don't eat more of. They have a billion flavors and you can get them anywhere. I ate a Skyr for Breakfast and snack to save money.
  • Stay at a local Guesthouse in Reykjavik. I stayed at Guesthouse Anna, which was this perfectly homey Guesthouse with huge rooms and amazing breakfast. The Reykjavik Airport has buses that take you directly to your guesthouse or hostel. I was dropped off and Anna was right there to greet me!
  • Go running during the early morning hours, when the wind is gusty and the clouds can't decide if they will stay or go. Running in Iceland in the morning is like a watercolor painting. The sky swirls with grayish, blue streaks. The wind is relentless. The streets are abandoned. It is beautiful and quiet. I recall running to the Geothermal beach (climbing under fences since it was not open yet). I stuck my hang in the ocean to expect cold and got steaming hot. Ah Iceland-- how cool are you?!

  • Go Whale (or shark) watching. In Iceland, the air and water are so clean and crisp. The ocean water is crystal clear and you can see through it. I would highly recommend to go Whale watching in the evening. A couple reasons why this is a must: a) you get to wear the coolest thermal jumpsuit ever b) you will definitely see Whales and Dolphins c) you meet nice people (like the Swedish couple I met) and d) you may actually see a shark (like us!)
  • Use Go Travel Iceland for a Golden Circle Tour. They are simply the best. Mary and I hired Go Travel Iceland for a day tour. The tours were overbooked, so we had a private tour in a HUGE jeep around. Our guide was the best...he took us everywhere, including off roading! He took us to local farmer's market. I felt like we got a personalized Icelandic experience, without the horrors of a tour bus.

  • Eat fish kabobs (or whale and puffin if that is your thing) straight on the harbor in no nonsense Saegreifinn. There is nothing like eating fish in a fish shack in Iceland. Amazing.

  • Go to the Blue Lagoon. Do the Icelandic traditional and go Full Monty in the showering facilities before (it is a very strict rule to shower before entering). When in the Lagoon's warm water, splurge and go for the floating massage (imagine a massage while floating in the Lagoon). Amazing.

  • Take a ridiculously small plane for a day trip to Vestmannaeyjar, a volcanic island off the coast of Iceland. Known as Puffin Island, this tiny island was devastated by a volcano in the 1970s, but has since come back as a thriving community. The island is known for its seabird and beautiful scenery. Take a boat trip around the island and see thousands of seabird (like Puffins!)
Iceland is an amazing place. I cannot wait to return and explore more. I don't think it will ever be removed from the Bucket List.
.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with all of these suggestions!! Also, when at Blue Lagoon, don't be the obnoxious tourist who ignores the signs and wears their shoes into the locker room, tracking dirt and mud onto the floor! And bring a windbreaker, and perhaps some waterproof pants :)

    Things we should do when we go back: eat an Icelandic hot dog, ride an Icelandic horse, experience more Reykjavik nightlife, see more puffins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mary- I want to go back now! Do you remember how scary that plane was to the Westmann Islands?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lagoon sounds awesome! Enjoyed the post

    ReplyDelete